Saturday, June 15, 2013

About My Fathers



In a world so fallen where fathers are called "baby-daddies," I'd like to say a few words about my father. First, I'll tell about my earthly father.

Needless to say, he wasn't perfect. Neither am I. He lost his temper. So have I. There have been many times, I'm sure, he didn't live up to the calling of being a father. I certainly know I've failed again and again.

But I remember the time my dad passed on the sea food dinner on a long flight to Italy because I wanted it, too, and they only had one plate left. Then I remember throwing it up into my lap. And my dad helping with cleaning up.

I remember my dad teaching me to hook a worm and wait for the bobber to dip before yanking. Then, he made countless trips down to the dock to help get the Blue Gill off and then filet them for me for dinner.

I remember one time, driving back from our humble vacation at my grandparent's cabin, my dad listened to the Tigers on the radio. We sort of slept in the back of the station wagon watching the street lights zip by overhead. We were cruising down 75, passing Tiger's Stadium and my dad turned the radio down and rolled down the window to see if we could hear any of the game as we passed by. It strikes me now as kind of silly. But fun.

I know that my love of communicating through writing comes from my dad. He inspired the writing gene. He also passed on a love of music-making.

I remember him playing a song on his guitar, a jazzy number with a real classic melody. Wowed by this tune, I asked him who wrote it.

"Me," he said with a slight chuckle.

I was floored. My dad had written what might have been a top 10 Billboard song.

The greatest thing my dad did for me, though, wasn't giving me fun times fishing, a love for writing or a desire for making music. No, what he did that is above all other things and, if we were counting on works to balance the scales, would rank up there - he introduced me to my true father.

See, my Heavenly Father has never lost his temper with me. He looks down and sees a faith that He gave me, a repentance that He drew from me and a trust in His sacrifice for my sin. He sees a perfect son of His own making.

My Heavenly Father teaches me and always gets it right. He disciplines me and doesn't let it get out of hand. He guides me and never leads me astray. He loves me because He decided to, not because of how I behave or perform.

Knowing my true Father has been the single most transforming thing in my life. And I was introduced to Him by my earthly father.

Thanks, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.